Friday, September 29, 2006

Ugly Betty

September 28th, 2006: The Pilot

So when I first heard of this show I was totally unsure if I would like it, then I saw the trailer for it and thought it looked awesome and I love America Ferrera but aside from the obvious, I wouldn't have known it was the same girl from Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.

But I knew I would have a hard time with a show whose premise is built around making fun of her. I've been made fun of in a similar fashion so I can relate but I don't think I could ever take the high road that she has.

I thought the show was good and you definitely fall in love with Betty and root for her. I did love her Scottish friend, played by Ashley Jensen, who was in a Brit Com that I watched called May to December. But I felt it was a bit cliche that the only friend Betty would make at Mode Magazine would be someone who wasn't a "model-type" and it was obvious when Betty left her idea behind that Christine (I think that's her name) would put it on Daniel's desk.

Overall the show was predictable and you could see that the photographer was in cahoots with Vanessa Williams and that the only guy to ever be interested in our Betty was someone like Walter.

I think it would have been more intersting if that front desk office person was her friend too but one thing I don't want to see is her and Daniel getting together because Daniel falls in love with her inner beauty, which Betty has plenty of.

America Ferrara sold this show and it gives a demented look at what magazine publishing is so I will keep on watching but if the taunts to Betty get too much for me, I might have to tune out.

No comments: