Monday, September 18, 2006

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

October 1st, 2006: Focus groups: The Good, Bad and the ugly

So I didn't do a post of last week's episode. My bad. Anyways, here is my take on this week's show. I still enjoy the snappy dialogue and love the behind-the-scenes look at a sketch show. I like that guy's impression of Tom Cruise/Ben Stiller/Nicholas Cage spot on as was Harry's Holly Hunter. Freaky.

While, I didn't really laugh at any of the supposed sketches, at least what we see of them, but I don't that is the point. It is the development of the sketches is what interests me.

As for the FG. It was good for Gina as she performed her sketch despite some lack of faith in herself and it helped Matt take risks in his writing. The Bad, Gina worrying about how no one likes her because the sketch bomb and the Ugly when Matt realized that Danny set him up to do better by posing the Anti-American question in the FG.

I don't know if I will continue with this Pop watch. If there is an episode that screams to write something about, I will.

Cheers,


September 17th, 2006: Pilot

If you are lucky to live in Canada, then you get to see this new show from Aaron Sorkin, he of The West Wing and Sports Night, a day earlier than our neighbours to the South.

Now I've never really seen a full episode of The West Wing because I am not very politically inclined but I did enyo Sorkin's script to the American President. Then again, I didn't like the movie for its political theme but more for the love story.

Anyways, this new show Studio 60, about behind-the-scenes look at a Saturday Night Live typse show intrigued me because not only do I love things all entertainment but it also starred good ol' Canadian boy Matthew Perry. I wanted to see this show that lured Mr. Perry back to TV after the long-run of Friends.

After watching the pilot, the dialogue is very sharp and heard that it's similar to the kind of dialogue that was on The West Wing. I really enjoyed the behind-the-scenes stuff and the Network type meltdown of Judd Hirsh. And how cannot I not forget the dig to my hometown of Vancouver. "Vancouver doesn't even look like Vancouver" said Danny (Bradley Whitford)

Matthew Perry was also good. Definitely shedding Chandler Bing and showing none of his nuances that make me view his Matt character not as Chandler, which has befelled many of Friends stars in other roles.

Has this show got me hooked? Not yet, I'll watch next week to see if I want to keep tuning in.

No comments: