Thursday, July 12, 2007

The Harry Potter phenomenon

I have two literary loves. For those that know me, one of those loves is Jane Eyre and the other of course is Harry Potter.

I would never have guessed that when JK Rowling released the first adventure of the boy wizard back in 1997 that it would be such a pop culture phenomenon.

I have discussed in a previous blog why I love Jane Eyre, so I won't go into any detail why I love that book. But I am here to discuss how I came to entraced by the world of Hogwarts and its inhabitants.

Now, I was never fond of reading, even if I loved Jane Eyre. I have never really finished any novel that I was assigned to read in school (elementary, high school and university). I can probable count on one hand the books I actually read from beginning to end for school: Hiroshima, Great Expectations, A Farewell to Arms and In the Skin of the Lion. All the usual suspect of required reading for English class such as Lord of the flies, I just read half way through and just BS my way through the tests. Sometimes teachers would make the mistake of showing us the movie version of the novel prior to any tests that helped me get by.

Fast forward to post university. I did want to read more novels. Don't get me wrong, I have read for pleasure -how else would I have fallen in love with Jane Eyre if I didn't read the book -but granted I fell in love with a screen adaptation first before I read the book. I digress. How did I get hooked on Harry. Picture it, the summer of 2000. Anne of Green Gables: The Continuing Story was going to be aired and an online forum popped up on the Internet so people can discuss the miniseries and all things Anne. A section of the forum was called the AOGG Book Club. One monthe the club suggested reading Harry Potter and the Philosopher Stone. I have heard a bit of the buzz around this children's book but I didn't want to read it because it was a children's book and I am an adult. Relunctanly, I bought a copy and proceeded to read it for the club not thinking I would love it. I did. It really shocked me that Rowling made a book for kids and adults alike. She comes up with twists that I never see coming in all subsequent Harry Potter tomes.

What really surprises is me that now almost 10 years since the first book came out that people still get excited over this series. I am listening to the PotterCast that are put on by the folks at the Leaky Cauldron and it so great to hear people of all ages passionate about these books. They really care about the characters and I have heard the craziest theories about what will happen in Book 7.

I am also amazed at the movie versions. I have loved all of them. I recently saw Order of the Phoenix (see my review in a recent blog) and even though I wanted more, one day after seeing it, I really loved it. And I still can't get over Imelda Staunton as Umbridge nor Evanna Lynch as Luna Lovegood.

I remember seeing the first movie way back in 2001. A couple of fellow Potterheads (one that I can actually hooked onto Harry Potter) saw the film and quite excited to see it. After our showing there was a long lineup to the theatre for the next show. Six years later, people are still lining-up (like I did and for the fourth one too) to see a Harry Potter movie. And the audience ages were from young and old.

For the first time ever, I am going to a midnight release party for a Harry Potter book. Since it is the last one, I might as well. I have pre-ordered it from Indigo and I can't wait to read it.

Here are the things that I want most to happen in Book 7:
  1. Harry lives while the Dark Lord dies
  2. Ron and Hermione finally get together (but early on in the book and not the last few chapters)
  3. We find out what exactly is up with Aunt Petunia
  4. Harry and Ginny stay together
  5. And that Snape really is a good guy

What are your thoughts on Harry Potter? Love it as much as I do?

No comments: