Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Movie News - Ellen Page to star in "Jane Eyre"

There is news that was released today that BBC Films is planning a feature film adaptation of Charlotte Bronte's "Jane Eyre" starring Canada's Ellen Page in the title role. I don't know how I feel about this piece of movie news. I love Jane Eyre and love Ellen Page. She is the right age but I don't know if she has the right look for it. I know she can do period as I first noticed her in Pit Pony but I just don't know. Another reason for my trepidation is the fact that BBC recently did a superb miniseries adaptation in 2006 of Jane Eyre. Ruth Wilson was awesome as Jane and Toby Stephens was excellent as Rochester. The last time it was a feature film, it was 1996 and it starred Charlotte Gainsbourg and William Hurt. That production wasn't great except for the music.

I will see it and I am looking forward to see who would be Rochester -there are rumours that it could be Christian Bale (not a bad choice). If there is one thing that I ask the screenwriter is that she capture the passion of their love story that Sandy Welch managed to capture. So I expect to see that it follows the book pretty faithfully, beautiful location and scenery, a great score and awesome chemistry between Page and the one who plays Rochester. If this film version has all of those and can equal the Wilson/Stephens version then I will like.

No comments: